Do Not Trust Pedophiles

Can you really trust anyone? I have a friend “Sally.” Sally just got out of a relationship that was not what she thought it was. Sally and her boyfriend “Aiden” had been dating for about three months when, one night, he did not come home.

Going from anger to worry and then panicking about what could have happened to him, she received a call from his sister letting her know that her boyfriend had been arrested the night before.

Sally could not believe what his sister had told her and asked about the charges that were being brought up against him. When his sister told Sally that the charges were statutory rape, she became ill. Sally thought back to every moment in their relationship to see if she missed some sort of sign that would have told her he wasn’t to be trusted.

Suspicious of the other information that Aiden had told her, she started to look up the details he had told her about his life. To her horror it looked like Aiden was a big fraud. She couldn’t find any evidence that he played football for or went to the college that he claimed.

Later, after talking to a close friend of his, she found out that he had been fired from his job months ago and had not told her. In the few hours that Sally had talked to her boyfriend’s sister, the entire person that Sally thought she was dating was unraveling. She felt betrayed. Sally was grateful that she had escpaed danger but still upset that she had been fooled.

This led Sally and I to this question: can you really trust people? Sally did not do a full background check on Aiden, but she never thought she had to. Sally was relying on her instincints. If Aiden was a fraud, why had her women’s intuition not kicked in?

People don’t regularly do background checks on people they first meet, but should they? Running the risk of sounding like a paranoid person, I do think that we should be more than careful with new people that we meet.

In today’s age taking people at face value could be deadly to you and possibly even the people that you love.

So if Googling or Facebook creeping on a new person I meet and possibly want to spend time with makes me a paranoid person, then so be it.

I would rather be paranoid and alive than trusting and have my murder appear as a synopsis on an episode of Bones.

Sally and I both grew up in a small town where everybody knew each other. We were not nervous when meeting new people, because nothing bad happened in our town. There were hardly any murders or assaults, and there was so much gossip that nothing stayed a secret for more than a week. We were raised to take people at face value, and neither of us had any prob- lems until now.

Is Sally’s situation a common oc- currence for people? Sometimes peo- ple assume that nothing bad can ever happen to them. Younger people es- pecially seem to believe that they are invincible.

This is a misguided theory that could cause people to not be careful around new people and get them hurt. Sally and I grew up in a small town and assumed that. People most likely make the same assumption about EMU. I go to a religious school so it is probably safer. I go to a Mennonite school where a large population are pacifists and against violence, so I should be safe.

Are people being unreasonable to assume that because they go to a religious/pacifist school, they will be safer than in regular universities? What if there is a large murder or rapist popu- lation here at EMU because people do not believe that they would be here? Should I be nervous of every person I meet?

In this world, we have to figure out how to find a balance between trusting people and being cautious, but how do we find that balance when the people you trust turn out to be pedophiles?

I am not suggesting that you start calling the police about every suspicious person you meet. However, I am warning students here at EMU that bad things can happen. They happen ev- eryday, all around the world, to people who do not believe that it could ever happen to them. Do not be paranoid, EMU. Be smart.

Devon, a semi-paranoid pre-law minor who enjoys trashy television, kicking people in the face, and nap- ping, believes that Facebook creeping is okay if it ends up saving your life.

Devon Fore