Campus Ministries Soon to Begin Reconstruction

Many changes are arising for Campus Ministries. There are many ways they could be looked at. Some may see them as unfortunate, and others may see them as amazing doorways for new steps in life.

Campus Ministries is currently made up of a four-person team. The staff is composed of Campus Pastor Brian Martin Burkholder, Associate Campus Pastor Joanne Gallardo, Program Assistant Suzanne Hostetler, and Associate Campus Pastor Byron Peachey.

Brian Martin Burkholder has been the Campus Pastor and Director of Campus Ministries at EMU since 2003. He has previously worked as a Program Director at Amigo Centre and as an Interim Campus Pastor at Goshen College. Martin Burkholder has also worked in various school systems for counseling and teaching. He is an ex-perienced worship leader and loves many outdoor activities.

Suzanne Hostetler started working at EMU in 2009. She majored in Youth Ministry/ Recreation with a minor in Music at Bluffton University. She also has experience as a youth pastor in West Liberty, Ohio.

Joanne Gallardo, the most recent member of the Campus Ministries staff, began at EMU in August of 2010. Gallardo also has a lot of music talent and has had the responsibility of coordinating campus worship while in seminary and school at Goshen College. She has also been a hymn leader for many churches. In 2009, Gallardo was awarded the Austin C. Lovelace Scholarship from the Hymn Society.

Byron Peachey has been a part of EMU’s campus ministries team since 2002. He served four years in El Salvador as Co-Director for Mennonite Central Committee. He has also been a part of inner-city missions for ten years. Peachey has resided in Harri- sonburg as an Associate Campus Pastor for over ten years.

Changes always lie in the future of any group or organization. EMU currently has one full-time pastor and two part time pastors.

Staffing for Campus Ministries will soon be restructured to have only two full-time pastors. The second full-time pastor position is open for anyone to apply, including both part-time pastors, Gallardo and Peachey. There will be an extensive interview process and the decision will not be made lightly.

Gallardo states about the upcom- ing changes; “I am applying for the position of Undergraduate Campus Pastor. I have immensely enjoyed the students I’ve had the privilege to inter- act with over the past three years I’ve been at EMU, and I hope that I can continue in my work here. However, if that’s not the case, I’m open to what else God might be leading me to.”

Byron Peachey also commented about the forthcoming restructuring, “Change is a part of life, and I sense that this is a good time of change for me. I’m grateful that I will lead the Guatemala/Mexico 2014 cross-cultural semester, and I’ll continue courses in the MA in the Counseling program, so I won’t be going far from EMU. But I’ll deeply miss the interactions I’ve had with students these past eleven years.”

These changes are new to the student body, and students have mixed feelings about the reconstruction.

Savanna Lester, Sophomore, comments on the loss of one of the pastors, “I think it’s unfortunate that somebody has to leave the position, because I love Byron and Joanne, but it will be easier for whoever ends up with the position [since] it will be full- time.”

Brian Martin Burkholder commented, “Every transition of staffing involves loss and heightened anxiety. This is the most significant restructuring for campus ministries in ten years. I’ll grieve the loss of working with our current team as is and I’m also excited to experience what it will be like to have a full-time Undergraduate Campus Pastor alongside my role as University Pastor/Director of Campus Ministries. Change is hard, yet energizing.”

page1image34720

Byron Peachey has been a part of EMU’s campus ministries team since 2002. He served four years in El Salvador as Co-Director for Mennonite Central Committee. He has also been a part of inner-city missions for ten years. Peachey has resided in Harrisonburg as an Associate Campus Pastor for over ten years.

Gallardo states about the upcoming changes; “I am applying for the position of Undergraduate Campus Pastor. I have immensely enjoyed the students I’ve had the privilege to interact with over the past three years I’ve been at EMU, and I hope that I can

Alicia Calkins

Categories: News