Student Government Association
4th of December 2013
i. Call to Order: 8:34pm
ii. Roll Call/Prayer: Andrew prayed
iii. Approval of Minutes from November 20th: Approved
iv. New Business
- Meet with representatives from the Strategic Plan Task Force
Jennifer Litwiller and Lois Shank came as representatives for the Strategic plan task force they are here to help gather input from students about what the next strategic plan will look like. SGA will be a focus group. They will take these suggestions back to the task force.
In what ways does our current mission statement describes who we are
-I like what the vision statement offers
- A theme is “Christian-based University” and this still describes who we are.
What have we experienced from EMU that is not reflective?
- It talks about serving students of diverse religions and cultural backgrounds…what about faculty
- Lack of representation of our Anabaptist heritage
- The “closeness” or holistic happiness of campus
- Professor student relationships
Goals: Is there anything you would add to our goals?
- Creativity is mentioned several times
- Definitely keep goal “D”
- How do we raise academic rigor? Can we join national honor league.
2. Meet with representatives from the Development office
Phil Helmuth shared- The campaign is on track to exceed funding and have plans to renovate s104. It would be helpful for the student campaign if a committee would be formed. Included in the student part of the campaign is soliciting parents, family and friends to help students reach our goal. The development office is committed to finding matches for the student campaign. We can create a much bigger impact that way.
What would the role of the student committee look like: We should come up with some ideas over Christmas break.
How to communicate to students about the campaign: Social media
How to communicate to parents and friends: is it the same mode or different?
How do we report progress about the goal?
3. Funding request: Peace Fellowship
Mariah: Motioned to approve the full funding request
4. Funding request: Vincent Harding campus visit: We do not have enough information to go through with a vote. We will ask that campus ministries petition SGA at the beginning of spring semester.
v. Old Business
- Late Night Pancakes sign up
vii. Committee Reporting
viii. Open Floor
Andrew is leaving and going to DC next semester. He will miss us.
Vi will be going on sabbatical. We thank her for her work.
Mariah motions to adjourn
Christine Baer: here
Andrew Penner: here
Kate Swartz: absent
Ryan Swartzentruber: here
Tyler Denlinger: here
Erin Nafziger: here
Mariah Elliott: here
Kyle Storc: absent
Charlie Good: here
Caleb Hinga: here
Alicia Ygarza: here
Curtis Handy: absent
Jacob Lester: absent
Sonja Anderson: absent
Litza Laboriel: here
Krista Nyce: here
Chantelle Garber: here
Camille Williams: absent
Carol Song: here
Vi Dutcher: here
Amy Springer: here
Ken Nafziger: here