Who’s Ready for Some Football??

& Uncategorized.

That’s right! This coming Sunday is the Super Bowl!! I know I am so excited, I love me some football! As we approach this iconic American holiday, let’s keep in mind to stay safe and healthy.

I know that the best part of Super Bowl Sunday is to partake in very good, yet not so healthy foods. My favorite football food is wings! My friend’s mom made the BEST teriyaki wings, I would eat and eat on those the whole game. I know that it wasn’t the best for me, but they were just so darn good! So as we start planning our parties and what we are going to eat, let’s try and incorporate some healthy choices as well. For instance if I choose to make wings, I will bake them instead of frying them, that way I won’t have all the added grease.

I don’t know about you, but I also love to eat chips and salsa/guacamole. (Did you know that experts estimate that Americans eat around 11 million pounds of chips during the game! Wow that’s a lot of chips!) The only bad part is all the carbs that you are taking in from the chips. I got to thinking, maybe we could try some multigrain chips instead that way you are adding some fiber to your diet as well.
Another thing that you can do is to make your own chips! It’s really not as hard as it seems! I would recommend using corn tortillas and cutting them into smaller triangles. Then just lay them on to a baking sheet and bake them at 350 for 10 minutes and flip them once so they get good and crispy on both sides! Voila you have made your own healthy tortilla chips!

Also, don’t underestimate the power of a simple Caesar Salad! Everyone loves this classic salad and it will cut back on the amount of calories you’re eating while watching the game because it will start to fill you up. Another tip to help make sure not to consume as many calories is to only eat during halftime. This way you aren’t eating the whole way through the game!

I know that a lot of these things may seem a little disturbing to some and may not want to take part in the “healthy” fad, but if you try and least one of these tips, you may just change your mind! Also, if you are planning on drinking please do it responsibly and whatever you do, PLEASE don’t drink and drive!

Enjoy the game and have fun!
Allison :)