Who am I that I should go?

November 29th, 2010

EMU Student Mitchell StutzmanBy Mitchell Stutzman, senior pastoral assistant
Luke I: 26-38

“Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”

These were the words spoken by Moses in the book of Exodus. Jehovah called Moses from the burning bush to express the purpose that He had for his life. Moses initially hesitated to heed the Lord’s call.

Every Christian experiences some kind of a call to follow the will of God. Likewise, Mary was called by God through the angel Gabriel.

But Mary did not experience just any call. She received the biggest call: to be mother to Jesus Christ. A woman (truly blessed among women) was given the task to give birth to the Messiah, Emmanuel. After visiting her relative Elizabeth, Mary humbled herself before God and personally owned the call that she had received, offering praise and adoration.

As a college student, I am expected to make many decisions about what to do with my life. I have not, however, experienced the luxury of a burning bush or messenger appearing to me and explicitly telling me my calling.

Through reflection, prayer, and the counsel of friends, family, and church community I can discern my call. As Mary did, I work to humble myself and to follow God’s leading in my life.

Prayer

Adapted from #763 in Hymnal: A Worship Book

Oh Lord who keeps me from falling,

I came to worship.

I go now to serve.

I have been given the light.

I go now to let it shine.

I have been blessed by your love, oh God.

I am one of Christ’s disciples.

I go now to love, console, and witness, to all.

Amen