Web Exclusive: Embracing the Holy Land the EMU Way

July 17th, 2012 | 4 comments

EMU in the Middle East

EMU began sending groups of students on study-semesters in the Middle East in 1984 and has never stopped sending groups on a near-annual basis, regardless of the prevailing socio-political situation. We know of no university in North America that rivals EMU for sustained number of years in the Middle East and number of students dispatched from the United States (more than 500). In late winter 2012, staff photographer Jon Styer ’07 and freelance writer Andrew Jenner ’04 spent 10 days documenting the study and work being done by EMU students and alumni in the Middle East. Most of the photographs and some of the reporting in this section of Crossroads emerged from Styer’s and Jenner’s trip. The four stories below are exclusively online.

4 Responses to "Web Exclusive: Embracing the Holy Land the EMU Way"

1. Congrats to Bonnie and team for creating this new way of staying current with EMU.

2. Deena says:

Yours is a clever way of thikinng about it.

3. http://www./ says:

I am so sorry for the loss of Tucker. I am facing the same thing at some point in the future with my eldest dog, Tess. She also is twelve and is now going senile. While she has aggravated me over MANY situations these past twelve years, (in fact I wrote a post “My Old Dog” not too long ago) my heart is breaking that we are watching her slowly decline and she will not be with us another 12 years. Each time I bury a beloved pet, it takes a piece of my heart. It certainly never gets easier. My best to you and your family.

4. There’s no hope of being published in quite a few that are more scholarly. Dialogue has made a bunch of steps lately and they probably would pick it up. A bunch of the ones I would prefer, there is 0 hope of getting it published, Dialogue at least has that sort of hope. MHA is a definate no, but maybe I need to see if JWHA will…. Got to finish the article first…