Dietrich Bonhoeffer the Assassin? Challenging a Myth, Recovering Costly Grace

& Uncategorized.

Some of the readers of this blog will be aware that I have been working on a book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  I have been working on this subject off and on for over thirty years.  But I have been working on this project directly, off and on, since my last sabbatical, 2009-2010.  I am as excited about this project as any I have worked on.  As of this morning, August 13, 2012, I submitted the 400-page manuscript to Baker Academic.  Hopefully we will have a book within a year.  I say “we” because I have written this book with two former students, Anthony Siegrist and Daniel Umbel.  The title of the book, named in the caption here, signals the thrust of the book.

I am not going to say more about the book now.  I probably will later.  But for those who want a slight taste of the argument, I will give you a link to an oral lecture I gave in the spring of 2011.  (Feel free to leave comments about the oral lecture here.)

The opinions expressed by the the author of this blog and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Eastern Mennonite University or any employee thereof. Eastern Mennonite University is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied within this blog.

4 Responses to “Dietrich Bonhoeffer the Assassin? Challenging a Myth, Recovering Costly Grace”

1. LeVon Smoker

That’s great! Hopefully it won’t take too long to get to print.

2. Robert Martin

Looking forward to reading it as a foil to the popular Metaxas book. I remember you talking about this out in Pittsburg in 2011… Keep us posted!