All Things to All People?

& Uncategorized.

In some ways I see my ministry for many years as being “all things to all people.”  But not everything I write speaks to everyone.  That is understandable for many reasons.

I am writing this just now because I will soon be posting two things that will appeal to rather specific audiences.  I am, for instance, soon posting an academic lecture I presented last November (in a somewhat shorter version) at the American Academy of Religion meeting.  This annual meeting is a gathering of nine to ten thousand people (well, it is when it coincides with the Society of Biblical Literature, as it does currently).  This is a meeting mostly of those who teach Religious Studies or Biblical Studies in institutions of higher education. There are hundreds of sessions.  Mine was presented in a session that dealt with a newish book called Defending Constantine by Peter J. Leithart.

A friend of mine tells me that  posts on blogs should really be no longer than 750-1000 words.  I’m sure he’s right.  But I also know that some academics post much longer essays.  That is what I will be doing when I post my essay on Defending Constantine.  Also, since this essay is slated to be published sometime over the coming year, I will remove it when it is published (or a bit before; I’m still learning).

Also in coming weeks I will publish some reflections on “The Purposeful Plan,” a document intended to help provide guidance for the Mennonite Church, U.S.A.  I realize this set of reflections may have little relevance to non-Mennonites.  Although I think in an illustrative way it might.  Opinions on that would vary.

The opinions expressed by the the author of this blog and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Eastern Mennonite University or any employee thereof. Eastern Mennonite University is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied within this blog.

One Response to “All Things to All People?”

1. Brian R. Gumm

As that friend of yours who tells you how long blog posts “should” be, Mark, I’m also aware that blog writing is a very flexible medium, depending greatly upon – among other things – who’s writing it, who’s reading it, what it’s for, what kind of thought/literature it’s engaging, etc. There’s certainly a place for long posts, and there are plenty of blogs that go long. Heck, I often don’t heed my own advice on my blog!

Posts like this are helpful in a blog’s formative stages, but even after you’ve been doing it for a number of years. So this periodic action/reflection approach to blogging, or “blogging about blogging,” is good practice for the author, and helpful to the reader.