Databases by Title
Below is an alphabetical list of research databases providing access to articles, book reviews, books, and other information. If you are off-campus you will be required to login using your Royal Username and Password. Databases with the image are available through EMU’s participation in VIVA, the Virtual Library of Virginia.
- Academic Search Complete
- A multi-disciplinary database covering everything from the humanities, social sciences, general sciences and more. ASC provides full-text coverage of over 5,500 periodicals.
- Academic OneFile
- A source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources. With extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
- Access Science
- Articles from the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology 10th edition; Research Updates from the McGraw-Hill Yearbooks of Science & Technology as well as other resources.
- African American Newspapers, 1827-1997
- Provides online access to approximately 270 U.S. newspapers chronicling a century and a half of the African American experience.
- Alt HealthWatch
- This database focuses on the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness.
- Alternative Press Center’s Online Directory
- A listing of titles indexed in Alternative Press Index including links to their websites.
- American History in Video
- Provides a wide range of videos for the study of American history. Includes documentaries from The History Channel and Bullfrog Films as well as newsreels shown before feature films prior to television.
- An index of articles from the content pages of journals. Covers a broad range of subjects.
- ARTSTOR — On Campus Access
- ARTstor is a digital library of images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences
- ARTSTOR — Off Campus Access
- ARTstor is a digital library of images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences.
- Associates Programs Source
- Covers topics such as accounting, agricultural sciences, child care services, culinary arts, forestry, food service management, graphic arts, hospitality management, interior design, & journalism.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials
- Covers the areas of theology and religion.
- Provides full-text access to bioscience research journals. Search the index & abstracts of BioOne
- Provides industry financial analysis and market research.
- Blackwell Synergy now available through Wiley Online Library
- Provides full-text access to journals in all subject areas published by Blackwell.
- Business Source Complete
- Provides access to journals in the area of business and management as well as non-journal content such as case studies, SWOT anaysis & company profiles.
- Cambridge Companions to Philosophy, Religion and Culture
- Provides access to many of the Cambridge companions including works on the Reformation, feminist theology, Martin Luther, Foucault, Jesus and many more.
- Cambridge Histories Online
- Provides over 250 volumes of scholarship on topics in religion, law, theatre, literature, political theory and more.
- CIAO – Columbia International Affairs Online
- Provides access to resources dealing with international affairs including journal articles, books, case studies, & policy briefs.
- Chemical Abstracts — Contact Librarian for access.
- Provides access to chemistry journals.
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
- Classic Christian books.
- CINAHL with Full-Text
- CINAHL Plus with full-text provides full text for more than 600 nursing and allied health journals indexed in CINAHL.
- Christian Periodical Index
- Provides access to articles and reviews written from an evangelical Christian perspective or of interest to the evangelical community.
- Index of Latin American journals in the sciences and humanities.
- Communications & Mass Media Complete
- Provides access to resources related to communications and mass media.
- Computers & Applied Sciences Complete
- Provides access to the research and development spectrum of the computing and applied sciences disciplines.
- Computer Database
- Information on computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
- Credo Reference
- A digital reference library of high-quality reference books from the world’s leading publishers, Credo Reference is the ideal place to start any research.
- Directory of open access journals
- This service covers free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals in many disciplines.
- PQ Dissertations & Theses
- Search for dissertations from institutions in North America and Europe. Includes full-text of 1.2 million dissertations and theses.
- Early American Newspapers Series 3, 1829-1922
- Provides access to newspapers published between 1829-1922 throughout the United States.
- Provides coverage of journals and other resources in the field of economics.
- Economia y Negocios
- Provides access to 300 Spanish and Portuguese-language periodicals published in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Spain, the United States and elsewhere in the area of business and economics.
- Education Research Complete
- Provides access to resources about education.
- Environment Complete
- Provides access to resources in the areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, renewable
energy sources, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more.
- ERIC – Education Resources Information Center
- Provides access to resources in the areas of education including access to ERIC documents.
- Provides access to information about business; includes company profiles and reports.
- Family & Society Studies Worldwide
- Coverage of research, policy, and practice literature in the fields of family science, human ecology, human development, and social welfare.
- Films on Demand – Master Academic collection
- A collection of streaming videos from such producers as Films for the Humanities and Sciences, PBS, ABC News, Bill Moyers, BBC and others.
- Find It Virginia
- This resource is part of the Infopowering the Commonwealth initiative, a cooperative project of the Library of Virginia and Virginia’s public libraries. It is accessible to anyone with a library card from a Virginia Public Library. Visit your local public library to register for a library card. Find It Virginia is supported by federal funds provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Fuente Academica
- A collection of scholarly journals from Latin America, Portugal and Spain.
- General OneFile
- A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology, and many general interest topics.
- General Reference Gold Center
- A general interest database that integrates a variety of sources – newspapers, reference books, magazines, and trade publications. Find articles on current events, popular culture, business and industry trends, the arts and sciences, sports, hobbies, and more.
- GPO Monthly Catalog
- Covers all types of U.S. government documents, including Congressional reports, hearings, debates, and records; judiciary materials; and documents issued by executive departments (Defense, State, Labor, Office of the President, etc.).
- A collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles that includes well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment.
- GREENR – Global Reference on the Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources
- A new online resource that offers authoritative content on the development of emerging green technologies and discusses issues on the environment, sustainability and more.
- Guide to Social Science & Religion in Periodical Literature
- An index to magazines and journal articles dealing with the socials sciences and religion.
- The full-text of Harper’s Weekly from 1857 – 1877.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition
- Provides access to consumer health information.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- Provides access to nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines.
- Highwire — an enterprise of Stanford University
- This link provides access to Highwire’s archive of free full-text science articles.
- Hospitality & Tourism Complete
- Provides access to scholarly research and industry news relating to all areas of hospitality and tourism.
- Humanities International Complete
- Provides access to journals, books and other resources in all aspects of the humanities.
- IPA Source
- A library of International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions and literal translations of opera arias and art song texts.
- An archive of leading academic journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences, as well as select monographs and other materials valuable for academic work. EMU has access to Collections I – IV & VI – VII.
- Legal Collection
- Provides access to a collection of respected, scholarly peer-reviewed publications including law journals, documents, and case studies.
- Library, Information Science and Technology Abstracts
- Provided by EBSCO this database provides access to resources in the areas of librarianship, information management and retrieval and more.
- Literature Online is a fully integrated service that combines the texts of over 355,000 literary works with a vast library of key criticism and reference resources
- Literature Resource Center
- Rich in biographical, bibliographical, and critical content, the Literature Resource Center provides access to information on literary figures from all time periods writing in such genres as fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, history, journalism, and more.
- Mathematical reviews on the web.
- MasterFILE Premier
- A general database of articles, multidisciplinary in nature.
- Provides access to a collection of medical research and investigatory journals from renowned Latin American and Spanish publishers.
- MEDLINE with Full Text
- This database is the authoritative index to the literature of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. Medline was created by the National Library of Medicine. PubMed is freely available to all users.
- The Mennonite
- Provides access to The Mennonite: a monthly magazine for members of Mennonite Church USA. Some full-text articles are available.
- Mennonite Quarterly Review – Index
- An index to the MQR covering the years from 1926-2000.
- Mergent Online
- Information on over 35,000 publicly traded companies — approximately 12,000 domestic public companies, 24,000 international public companies, and 10,000 extinct (due to merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, etc) global public companies. Company histories and over 200,000 annual reports in pdf, 30 years of stock prices, and more.
- Mergent Horizon
- “Seamless capabilities for finding, filtering and organizing information about companies and industries.”
- MLA International Bibliography
- Provides access to resources covering literature, linguistics, folklore, etc.
- Military & Government Collection
- Designed to offer current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government, this database offers a thorough collection of periodicals, academic journals, and other content.
- Access to the journal Nature 2004-present.
- New York Times – Historical
- Provides a PDF version of the NYT from 1851-2006.
- Newspaper Source Plus
- Provides cover to cover full-text access to 131 national and international newspapers including The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Toronto Star, and The Times (London). Provides selective coverage of over 355 US newspapers and transcripts of television and radio news programs including NPR & CNN.
- Ovid Nursing
- Provides access to nursing journals including the full-text of over 55 journals published by LWW including JONA, Advances in Nursing Science, American Journal of Nursing, and more.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Provides access to the 2nd ed. of the OED and is the accepted authority on the evolution of the English language over the last millennium. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past.
- Oxford Music Online Provides access to Grove Music Online (The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, second edition), The Oxford Dictionary of Music and The Oxford Companion to Music.
- Oxford Reference Online
- Provides access to language and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
- PAIS International
- Provides access to the literature covering issues of importance dealing with social and public issues.
- OCLC index of papers presented at conferences worldwide.
- Peace Research Abstracts
- Covers essential areas related to peace research, including conflict resolution, international affairs, peace psychology, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline.
- A nonprofit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world’s scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource.
- Plowshares Digital Archives for Peace Studies
- A collaboration of Earlham, Goshen, and Manchester colleges.
- An OCLC index of worldwide conference proceedings.
- The American Psychological Association’s search engine for PsycINFO, PsycARTICLES, and PsycBOOKS.
- Regional Business News
- Provides access to the full-text of business journals, newspapers and newswires from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- Readers’ Guide Retrospective
- Covers the years 1890-1982. For 1983 to the present, search Wilson OmniFile Mega
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
- Provides access to such topics as world religions, major denominations, biblical studies, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy.
- Religious and Theological Abstracts
- Provides access to abstracts in the area of religion and theology.
- Richmond Daily Dispatch – 1860 -1865
- Provides access to the full-text of the Richmond Daily Dispatch during the Civil War.
- SAGE Journals
- Provides access to over 600 Journals published by SAGE.
- Scientific American
- Access to the journal Scientific American 1993 – present.
- Teacher Reference Center
- Indexes over 260 popular journals, periodicals and books used by teachers and administrators in education settings.
- Wiley Online Library
- Journals in all subject areas published by Blackwell available through Wiley Interscience.
- Women’s Studies International
- Provides access to the latest scholarship in feminist research.
- World Almanac
- Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia and four almanacs.
- OCLC catalog of books, web resources, and other material worldwide.