Important updates for Residency in Virginia
Submitting paperwork can be a cumbersome task and it is important to stay organized and aware of new changes and updates to the Board of Counseling regulations. Your role during this part of your career path is called a “Resident in Counseling”. Listed below is a step-by-step process to help guide you through this process, be sure to make copies of all the documents you plan on sending in for your own records. This is simply a guide, it is cruical to also follow the instructions provided in the LPC packet when submitting your paperwork. This information is for only, if you are moving to or living in another state please check that state’s regulations for Residency requirements.
Instructions for submitting paperwork
Here is what you will need to do PRIOR to beginning your residency in order to be considered license eligible by the Va. Dept of Health Professions: (note – These include changes effective November 2012)
1. Official transcript (obtain through registrar’s office)
2. Coursework outline (or in LPC packet, pages 16-17)
3. Job description of your position (get from your employer)
4. Internship verification form (in LPC packet, pages 18-21)
a) Page 18 – You complete, make yourself a copy
b) Page 19 – bring to the EMU MA in counseling program for completion of top portion, allow 5 business days for EMU to complete them, then take to your site supervisor – they complete, seal in envelope and sign across the seal –ask them to make you a copy
c) Page 20 – you complete the top, bring form to the EMU MA in counseling program for the bottom portion to be completed, we complete and seal in envelope and sign across the seal, we make you a copy – allow 5 business days for EMU to complete.
5. Registration of Supervision form (in LPC packet, pages 6-9)
a) You fill out page 6
b) Residency Supervisor fills out pages 7-9- make sure all sections have been completed
6. Registration of Supervisor fee (See LPC packet for fees)
What you should be mailing to the board (keep copies for yourself):
1. Transcript in an sealed envelope
2. Course Outline Form
3. Job Description
4. Two sealed envelopes with signatures across the seal AND page 18
5. Pages 6-9, signed
6. Your check
7. Verification of your supervisor’s qualification (certificates or transcripts showing required supervision training)
In the meantime:
1. Wait for your confirmation letter
2. Track your hours – It may be helpful for you to review page 22 of the LPC packet to see how you will eventually report your total hours and track them accordingly.
3. Have Quarterly Evaluation Forms (pg. 10) completed each quarter and saved with your other documents until you apply for the exam.