Direct Lending for Student and Parent Loans
Steps to complete the student loan application
Students who are new to EMU or have not borrowed a Direct Loan before must complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling.
- Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov
- Complete the Undergraduate Loan Request Form or Graduate Loan Request Form
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling at www.studentloans.gov
Steps to complete a federal parent or graduate PLUS loan
If you borrowed a PLUS loan at EMU in the 2012-2013 school year you do not need to complete a new Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Complete the Request for Direct PLUS and Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov
- If you want EMU to complete a credit check with the department of Education before completing a PLUS MPN complete and return the Credit Check Permission Form
Contact info for Direct Loan Services
The Department of Education Direct loan Program Customer Service phone number is 800-848-0979. For information on direct loan account information visit www.studenloans.gov.
You may also contact EMU financial aid officers with additional questions.