Your 2014-15 ACRS program planning committee anticipates another year of programs that will continue to stimulate and inform. Our goal is to present:
- A series of stories on pivotal experiences which altered directions or generated significant change in the Mennonite Church.
- Each story is told from the perspective of an individual whose vision and creativity provide a context for reflection.
When and where
ACRS breakfast gatherings occur the second Monday of each month from 7:30 – 8:45 a.m. in the West Dining Room, Northlawn, EMU. Here are the upcoming dates for the 2014-15 academic year:
November 10, 2014
Speakers:(L – R) Becca Martin, Erin Nafziger, and Becca Jo Longenecker
They will be speaking about three prominent topics that EMU’s undergraduates are talking about.
- will talk about technology and social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Yik Yak, and Tinder and how students are using them to build community. But with the rapidly accelerating creation of new sites and new personal pieces of technology, how do we set limits or establish etiquette for what is appropriate and productive when it comes to technology?
- will talk about student safety and the concern on EMU’s campus that there are not enough student services focused on educating about and caring for students after the fact of sexual assault or dangerous situations arising around alcohol consumption. It is common campus knowledge that students are not abiding by the Community Lifestyle Commitment. How can we update this document to reflect the community of students who are here now and will be here in the future, recognizing that the majority of our student body is no longer Mennonite?
- On behalf of Safe Space and Student Government Association, will reflect on last year’s Listening Process surrounding EMU’s hiring policy. She will talk about the student-led events that were held in support of change and Safe Space’s purpose at EMU. She will also speak to the current feelings among students about LGBTQ issues.
Becca Jo Longenecker & Becca Martin are this school year’s Student Government Association (SGA) Co-Presidents. ACRS is in store for a great program.
since the EMU West Dining Room is also being used as a classroom this semester, the ACRS Breakfast will begin promptly at 7:30 AM and will dismiss at 8:45.
December 8 – Speaker, Lisa Schirch,
“Navigating the Path to Peace in the Pentagon”
January 12 – Speaker, Evan Knappenberger,
“Twistifyin’ and Testifyin’: Newfangled Mennonite Conflict”
February 9 – Speakers, Pat Hostetter Martin & Roy Hange
March 9 – Speaker, Nancy Heisey
April 13 – Speaker, Vernon Jantzi
Check the web calendar for more info on speakers and ACRS events.
About the planning committee
2014-15 ACRS program planning committee members are Margaret Foth, Vernon Jantzi and Terry Burkhalter. Suggestions are always welcome and if you are aware of persons who should be invited and included on the ACRS email list, please forward that information to: email@example.com